Saturday 11 May 2013

Negativity Stops or Delays Perfect Future

For the people who think utopia is impossible I agree you may be right, nothing is certain, but I'm aware of how our expectations shape the future thus I act as though we can create a perfect future because if we think a perfect future is impossible then our expectations of failure, or impossibility, will almost certainly prevent a wonderful future from happening.

Ultimately we all have the power to change the world, at least in a small way, thus if everyone wanted to change the world in a small way all those small changes could become a massive change. The problem is this: many people think nothing will change thus they don't bother trying to change things because they say: "What's the point? Nothing will ever change."

I do respect negative views because I share them somewhat but think it is more productive to look at the positives, to inspire people with hope, so I try keep my negativity to to myself, unspoken. It is important to dream because without dreams humans would not achieve the impossible. History does show humans can achieve the impossible merely by their unyielding determination and powerful confidence in their power to reshape the world, their ability to dream.

Despair and stasis are debilitating. Yes there are lots of bad things in the world but there are also forces of good, people who utilise technology to make the world a better place. I am simply trying to generate hope to counteract the despair via focusing on the good, which is more productive.

So you may be right and I may be wrong, but regardless of who is right or wrong I act as though I could be right, I act with hope so that if I fail I can say to myself at least I gave it my best effort, at least I tried. At least I tried to overcome all limitations and I opened my mind to the idea of anything being possible. If we don't genuinely try to make the world a better place, a perfect place, then I do understand the sentiment of what's the point, thus perhaps you can see the power of negativity to delay or stop our progress towards a wonderful future.

Anyway, this probably seems at bit overbearing, and if so sorry for that. I am not trying to bash your viewpoint, I am merely explaining how I see the world.

Shortly after finishing this blog-post I discovered the following Tweet by Jason Silva, which echoes my sentiments:

# Blog visitors since 2010:



Archive History ▼

S. 2045 | plus@singularity-2045.org